My Biggest Regret on My Wedding Day... | St. Louis Wedding Photographer

Monday, January 29, 2018

I took some time this weekend and looked through our wedding album. I was reminded of all my favorite details: my blush dress - complete with perfect pockets, my veil died with passion tea, and the amazing ice cream cake. It was hot, and I didn’t eat that day, but every details prints out in my memory as pure perfection! There was only one thing I would go back and change.

If I could do it again, I would do a first look.

A “first look” is a few intimate moments with just the bride and groom before the ceremony. This segment of the wedding day is solely for the couple themselves. It’s a chance to stop and take in the joy of the day with one another. It’s a pause to get the crying out of the way, and to have pictures of authentic emotions where no one else is watching.


Here are four things that a First Look will give you:

1. It gives you time to express emotion in private.
The pictures of me walking down the aisle are not in our wedding album. Why? Because my face was grotesque with tears. I’m not typically a crier. I was not expecting to cry at all during our wedding. For whatever reason, when I saw Justin for the first time, I started crying. Let’s face it, you will most likely cry at some part of the day. It happens. It’s an emotional day. And, it’s totally normal! A first look let’s you get out all the tears beforehand, leaving plenty of time to do any touch-ups on the make-up. đŸ˜‰

2. It gives you an opportunity to enjoy the moment.
By time the wedding was over, J and I had spoken maybe five words to each other, not including the vows. A first look would have let me talk about how excited I was to marry him and spend the rest of our lives together, or how handsome he looked, giving me an opportunity to gush over everything turning out the way I wanted it to.

3. It gives you photos of authentic emotions.
When I was walking down the aisle, and all eyes were on J and I, I have no clue what his face looked like. I do not remember. I was so focused on not tripping, walking slowly (but not too slow) and trying to stop crying and smile. I didn’t even look to see how excited he was to see me. While I’m sure he had a great reaction, I have no recollection of it. A first look lets you see real emotion. He can see you, in all your splendor, and react the way he normally would when he doesn’t have all eyes on him.

4. It gives you time to enjoy your guests.
Having a first look makes the flow of the wedding day so much smoother. As a photographer, I can get some photos of the two of you done before the wedding. In most cases, I can get the Bridal Party and the Formal Family pictures done before, too. Don’t get me wrong, we’ll still have some pictures in between, but how nice would it be to spend more time with your guests? A first look frees up so much time after the ceremony for you to enjoy all those family and friends who have travelled to celebrate you!

First looks are not mandatory, but in my case making time for one would have turned a glorious day into absolute perfection. Having a first look is the one thing I would change about my favorite day, and something I highly recommend to you for yours.